The Barracks Emperors is a strategy card game set during the Roman Crisis of the Third Century, a tumultuous period in which numerous individuals vied for the throne of the Roman Empire. In this game, 1-4 players take on the roles of prominent political factions seeking to gain control over the aspiring Emperors of Rome.
Last items in stock
Available on: 22/07/2023
The Barracks Emperors is a strategy card game set during the Roman Crisis of the Third Century, a tumultuous period in which numerous individuals vied for the throne of the Roman Empire. In this game, 1-4 players take on the roles of prominent political factions seeking to gain control over the aspiring Emperors of Rome. By deploying their influence (represented by the cards in their hands), players aim to claim imperial reigns (represented by historical Emperor cards on the game board). However, they must navigate the complexities of politics, as exerting influence sometimes requires aiding other players in their own schemes. Success lies in playing cards strategically to capture Emperors and earn the highest score.
The Barracks Emperors is primarily a trick-taking game, but with a unique twist. All 13 tricks are available for play simultaneously in an interconnected grid, forcing players to carefully consider the value of each card played, both for themselves and for opponents on different tricks. Additionally, every card grants players special abilities that can be cleverly employed to surprise unsuspecting opponents.
Fans of Battle Line, which introduced a fresh perspective on Three-Card Poker, will appreciate The Barracks Emperors for elevating games like Spades or Bridge to new heights, infused with historical conflict.
- Individual cards representing historical emperors, co-emperors, pretenders, and Gallic Emperors who broke away from Rome during the Crisis of the Third Century. Each card provides interesting facts about the depicted figure's rise and fall.
- Concepts and flavor borrowed from Time of Crisis and The Age of Iron and Rust, deck-building wargames, adapted into this standalone game. Although not required, players familiar with these games will recognize Influence Cards such as Praetorian Guard, Foederati, and Pretender, used in novel ways.
- An innovative card-drafting mechanic that adds strategic depth to gameplay while reducing the luck factor of starting with a full hand of cards each round.
- Designed for 4 players, with options for 2 or 3 players, as well as a solitaire adaptation for solo play.
- 1 round: Learning Game (30-45 minutes)
- 2 rounds: Short Game (60-90 minutes)
- 3 rounds: Full Game (90-120 minutes)
- 114 cards (2.75" x 2.75" size)
- 22" x 34" mounted game board
- 6 +1/+2 markers (2 each of Red, Blue, and Yellow)
- 20-page rule book